8/26/11

Question on viral gastroenteritis and follow-up symptoms?


Question by Soda Popinski: Question on viral gastroenteritis and follow-up symptoms?
I had a short bout of viral gastroenteritis on Tue-Thu. I started feeling sick on Tuesday, didn't go to work on Wednesday and got better on Thursday. On Tuesday I started feeling gradually worse over the day (fatigue, achiness, fever up to 102F in the evening, headache, etc.) and couldn't eat anything all day. Well, I could, but didn't feel like it. I had non-stop diarrhea from Tuesday morning to Wednesday night.
I took 4 pills of Pepto-Bismol over the course of Wednesday (8 is the maximum prescribed) and 2 Tylenols on Wed evening because the headache sucked.

Now here's my question: I haven't had a bowel movement since Thursday. Other than tiny miserable bits of stool and gas, nothing's coming out of me. What does come out is lumpy, minuscule, and partly whitish in color. What's not white is nearly black (a lot darker than it should) with tones of what I believe is very very dark green. I feel backed up in my gut. It's like bad constipation all of a sudden. Doctor or laxative? Thanks.
Note I'm not really sure it was "viral gastroenteritis". That just sounds likely. But for the sake of openness, let's just say I had some kind of digestive tract disorder.
My dad probably passed it to me because he had similar symptoms before Tuesday since the weekend, but I don't know where it originally came from.
To clarify, I've been eating and drinking normally since Thursday, although I've been avoiding dairy products (other than yogurts -- I always have one, every morning).
Thanks for the answer so far!


Best answer:
If this is still going on by Mon. call the Dr., but remember if you're not putting stuff in, you'll not be getting much out! In the meantime, drink a lot of fluids. Gatorade can be tolerated alot of times when nothing else can. It has electrolytes in it and that's why the athletes drink it. The dr. told me years ago to give it to my children, and since then I use it when I get sick. And if you can drink water that's great too.


Orignal From: Question on viral gastroenteritis and follow-up symptoms?

No comments:

Post a Comment